Posts for tag: Bunions
Feet are an incredibly important part of your body, and you need to care for them—otherwise, debilitating conditions such as bunions can develop! Read on to learn more about bunions, and if you require treatment for this issue, contact your Berwyn and Wheeling, IL, podiatrist, Dr. Paul Potach!
What are bunions?
Bunions are often painful bumps that appear on the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint of your foot. This bone deformity occurs when the toe dislocates from the joint.
What cause bunions?
Thirty-three percent of the population in Western countries have been diagnosed with bunions, a problem that is caused by a number of factors, including:
- Wearing tight shoes
- Inheriting a faulty foot structure
- Experiencing foot injuries
- Having neuromuscular problems
- Having flat feet
- Having pronated feet that can contribute to their formation
What are the symptoms of bunions?
Symptoms vary from one person to another, but they do largely consist of the following:
- The obvious bump on your toes
- Discomfort and pain
- Constant irritation and friction against shoes
- Red and tender skin over the toe
- Joint flexes with every step
Another issue that may arise is bursitis or arthritis resulting in thicker skin and chronic pain.
What are some treatment options for bunions?
Bunion treatments include:
- Protective padding in shoes to prevent friction
- Wearing properly fitted shoes
- Use of orthotic devices to support you while walking and standing
- Exercises that prevent stiffness or arthritis
- Splints to help bone development
- Surgical treatment
What more you should know about surgery?
This surgery is called bunionectomy. During the procedure, your podiatrist removes the bunion and realigns the toe. Prior to surgery, however, make sure that you consult your doctor about conservative treatment options first.
Who should you contact?
If you need more information about bunions, make sure that you contact one of Dr. Paul Potach's offices in Wheeling and Berwyn, IL, for a consultation. Dial (708) 484-3338 for Wheeling, and (847) 215-1525 for Berwyn.
Is there a knob on the side of your big toe? Is it hard and bony? If that's the case, you may have a bunion and your Wheeling, IL, podiatrist can help.
What are bunions?
Bunions are a bone deformity that affect your metatarsophalangeal joint. They affect your walking because of friction and pressure that makes it painful to walk.
If you start to notice the joint of your big toe becoming larger, then you may be suffering from a bunion. Bunion protrusions can be very painful and other issues such as flat feet, foot injuries, and neuromuscular problems, which may contribute to their formation.
What are the causes of bunions?
The problem with bunions is that they can cause the formation of other toe deformities, such as hammertoes, bursitis, arthritis, corns, and calluses.
Bunions are usually formed because of tight, narrow shoes and high heels, occupational foot stress, genetics, and certain foot types, foot trauma, or injury, and rheumatoid arthritis.
How do you treat bunions?
Your Wheeling doctor may recommend an orthotic device designed to keep your toe in the proper position. If your doctor needs to take a more invasive approach, they may do the following:
- Straightening your foot and big toe
- Remove swollen tissue around the joint
- Fuse your big toe joints together
- Remove some bone in the big toe
Before resorting to surgery, there are conservative methods to help treat bunions, such as:
- Taping foot to support bunion and cushioning it
- Changing to wide, supportive shoes, or sandals, instead of tight, narrow shoes
- Orthotic device (over-the-counter and/or custom made)
- Certain exercises that help prevent stiffness or arthritis
- Splints for nighttime wear
- Wearing shoe inserts to cushion bunion and reduce friction
Need a consultation?
Bunions are painful. If you have any questions, or would like to schedule an appointment, just call your Wheeling, IL, podiatrist at (847) 215-1525 or (708) 484-3338 for our Berwyn location today!
Worried about that bunion? A bunion is a painful bony bump that forms on the joint connecting the big toe. Bunions are caused by wearing narrow-toed shoes. Bunions occur mostly in women, as they are more likely to wear tight shoes. Some diseases can also cause bunions. Dr. Paul Potach is a podiatrist who offers treatments for foot problems. His offices are located in Wheeling and Berwyn, IL. Here are four treatments for bunions.
1. Padding & Taping- Bunion treatment often begins with padding and taping. Padding the bunion will minimize your pain and allow you to continue a normal, active life. Taping the bunion will keep your foot in a normal position, thus reducing pressure and discomfort. Padding and taping also prevent bunions from getting worse.
2. Custom Orthotics- Custom-made orthotics can be a valuable treatment for bunions. Orthotics are inserts or footbeds that are inserted into shoes. Orthotics can prevent the progression of bunions and ease pain, improving joint function. You can get custom-made orthotics from your podiatrist.
3. Steroid Injections- Steroid injections can ease your pain temporarily by reducing inflammation. They're most commonly injected into joints — such as your elbow, hip, knee, ankle, shoulder, wrist, and spine. The injections usually comprise a local anesthetic and corticosteroid medication. You can get steroid injections at your Wheeling and Berwyn podiatrist's office.
4. Bunion Surgery- If your symptoms are severe, your doctor may recommend surgery to treat your bunion. The surgery is called bunionectomy. The goal of surgery is to correct the deformity and relieve pain.
Say goodbye to that bunion. Call our office at 847-215-1525 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Potach in Wheeling, IL. Call 708-484-3338 to schedule an appointment in Berwyn, IL. We are committed to providing high-quality patient care using state-of-the-art technologies. Our bunion treatments will ease your pain and help you get back to a happy and healthy life.