Posts for: August, 2019
How your podiatrist in Wheeling, IL, can help with bunions
At their later stages, bunions can be very painful and make it difficult to wear shoes, to walk, or to even put weight on your foot. However, at their onset, bunions are often less easy to spot, causing many patients to delay receiving treatment until the deformity becomes serious. Fortunately, here at Dr. Paul Potach's offices in Wheeling and Berwyn, IL, your podiatrist offers a full range of podiatry services, including bunion treatment. Read on to learn if your feet require his expertise!
More about Bunions
A bunion is a large, bony growth on the side of your big toe. If you have a bunion, you may experience symptoms like these:
- Inflammation, swelling, and pain around the big toe joint
- Corns or calluses developing on the toes next to the bunion
- Chronic pain in the area of the bunion
- Stiffness and loss of flexibility in your toe
Bunions are often caused by a bone deformity in your foot or toe. They can also be caused by wearing shoes that are too narrow, as ill-fitting footwear causes toes to become crushed together and the big toe joint to bend outward. Medical conditions including arthritis, or a foot injury can also cause a bunion to develop.
There are some simple therapies that you can try at home to get relief from bunion pain. Consider:
- Applying ice to the bunion to reduce swelling
- Taping or bandaging the bunion to provide support
- Wearing inserts in your shoes to cushion the bunion
- Wearing wider shoes to give you more toe room
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication to reduce pain and swelling
Large, painful bunions should be treated by your podiatrist. Recommended treatments may include:
- Custom-fit orthotics or footwear for added support
- Night splints and other devices to realign your foot and toe
- Removing the corns or calluses to reduce friction
- Stretches and physical therapy to maintain mobility
- Surgery to remove the bunion and realign your foot and toe
Concerned? Contact us today
You don’t have to put up with bunion pain—you can get relief by calling Dr. Paul Potach's offices in either Wheeling or Berwyn, IL. Dial (847) 215-1525 for Wheeling or (708) 484-3338 for Berwyn.